Giuliani Blog Tracking the likely Presidential candidacy of Rudy Giuliani

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Top Illinois Social Conservative Okay with Rudy

Clicking through some old links in the RSS feed, found this link from Jeff Berkowitz to Tom Roeser, who is termed the "Mr. Conservative" of Illinois politics (the William F. Buckley of Chicago)? In this blog post, Roeser gives his blessing to a Giuliani candidacy if the Mayor pledges to appoint good judges:

Then there was movement in the room, everybody raced to the entrance, the television lights went on and the crowd, towering over a smallish man, moved ever-so-slowly and there was that wide Italian smile, the smile of a little guy but also a Prince of the City. I tell you, most politicians do nothing to me when they enter a room-even when a band plays “Hail to the Chief.” I stood dry-eyed and emotionless when Richard Nixon would come onto a stage as president. I was powerfully affected by Ronald Reagan only once-when after he recovered from his bullet wound, he appeared before the Congress, turned and waved as a hero. Jerry Ford, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, George H. W. Bush, even George W. Bush doesn’t turn me on. The pencil-slim John Kennedy did when he was a Senator as he moved into a room where I was standing in St. Paul.

But I’ve got to tell you: this guy Giuliani has magnetism. I feel about him as I would from the gut. From my gut I think John McCain, though a hero, is something like a cardboard pop-up. The same with everybody else who’s mentioned for president-except.

I’ve got to talk to my friend the priest and get him to instill me with confidence that as president Giuliani would name good jurists, that he wouldn’t endorse embryonic stem cells, that he wouldn’t interfere with any constitutional amendment that protects traditional marriage. But this I know: if Giuliani is ever president, the same gutsy, forceful drive to take the campaign against terrorism to the offensive and not keep it on the defensive would triumph. That you can take to the bank.

Find this post interesting? Get posts
from this blog in your inbox once a day:

2 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The illinois social conservations worked for nearly one week to get its election board permission based upon the social conservative ethical problem in and around the constitution of women rights.

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The illinois social conservations worked for nearly one week to get its election board permission based upon the social conservative ethical problem in and around the constitution of women rights.
===================================

swansi

Illinois Drug Treatment

 

Post a Comment

<< Home